Contentment ("Look at the birds of the air")

Here is a short, rhyming, true story from a few years ago based on Matthew chapter 6 verses 25 to 34

I've had moments in life, I'm sure you have to,
when what I find myself in seems awfully tough to get through.
Not long ago I got down and depressed,
overwhelmed, worried, angry and stressed.
With heavy heart and troubled mind,
my concerns were many, of every kind.
Concerns for my family, my kids, my wife.
There needs and well being, the stuff of life.
Concerns about work even plagued me that day,
would there be much at all to next weeks pay.
In search of  much needed peace of mind,
I went to a lake shore to pray and unwind.    
 A duck came wandering down the beach,
and passed by me within arms reach.
She was a picture of peace, and seemed quite content.
Eating and drinking, unconcerned as she went.
And it reminded me as I watched her there,
that Jesus said "look at the birds of the air".
He always speaks truth, Jesus doesn't spin foolish yarns.
He said "they don't sow or reap or store away in barns".
The rest of the verse brought me such encouragement that day.
"Yet your Heavenly Father feeds them,
are you not much more valuable than they".
I've been on the receiving end of His love,
the receiving end of His grace.
Many times He's moved me up from last to first place.
Here in this land of blessing, of abundance and of more,
in all our anxious want and worry, do we really know the score?
That God who loves and cares for us, is the one to thank it's true,
for the gifts abilities and all, He gives to me and you.
As I think of it I'm reminded again, of what He's done for me each day,
from salvation to the multitude of blessings, He's provided along the way.
I guess I needed the gentle reminder,
contentment is found in God, not luck.
And though He could have spoken through many angels,
He chose instead to use a duck.
 
 
May you know true contentment!
 
Brian 
  
 


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. God bless you Steve, I hope your blog points many people to Jesus.

      Delete

Post a Comment