It's a New Year but I still wrestle with sin. Yikes!


Belated Happy New Year everyone!
So do you feel new in 2014, or more or less like the same old you from 2013? I was just sitting here imagining what it might be like if the proverbial hitch in our stride were replaced by a spring in our step at the stroke of midnight, when the old year became the new. Or what if those silver and gray hairs that seem to multiply with every glance in the mirror, were suddenly at the singing of Auld Lang Syne replaced by our original hair colour?
Unfortunately things don't work that way, or at least it's never happened to me.
Tongue in cheek joking aside though, there are some things I wish would disappear from my life at the start of a new year. Mainly my sinful nature. Because all to easily and far to frequently the things I know to be wrong over take me. All to easily and far to frequently my thoughts or actions cause the Joy of the Lord in my heart to be replaced by feelings of shame and guilt. Like a man in a small boat suddenly hit by a rogue wave, capsized and floundering in the water.
 But when  I read God's word or hear good biblical teaching, I am reminded my sin has been paid for by Jesus, through His death on the cross. And thanks to Him I have eternal life beyond the physical death that we all must someday face. That is good news!
Here is a little sample, In John chapter 10 verses 27 to 30 Jesus says:

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

I wrote this little poem recently and felt it tied in with the sin struggle we all face.

Please remind me
When I get down and lose my way,
stumble, fall, 
forget to pray,
and don't bother to obey You throughout the day.
When the light is dim,
and the valley is deep,
the path is rocky,
and the road is steep,
my spirit falters,
and my flesh is weak.
Please remind me Jesus,
I'm one of Your sheep.

   
If I could make one suggestion in this new year it would be try to make a habit of reading the Bible. As you do ask God to speak His truth into your heart. There is more treasure to be found on it's pages than the combined contents of all the bank vaults in the world.
If you haven't yet: put your trust in Jesus this new year. He truly is The Good Shepherd!

Brian
    

Comments

  1. happy 2014 to you brian! great encouragement - i think that the most positive sign of your spiritual health is the fact that you're honest enough with yourself to recognize that you (as we all do ourselves) still struggle with the tendency and activity of sin in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patrick
      Thanks for your encouragement and for faithfully reading (and commenting) on the blog.
      May God bless and lead you and your family now and always.

      Delete

Post a Comment