A Firm Foundation

Two weekends ago my younger son and I were camping in Algonquin Provincial Park with a group of guys from our church. The weather wasn't as nice as we would have liked it to be, but despite the rain showers and cool temperatures I took a bunch of pictures. Two of them I really wanted to share.

















Take a look at these two trees, one growing on a sandy cliff that is eroding away and the other on a rock as solid as can be. These trees reminded me of a parable Jesus told.
In Matthew chapters five six and seven Jesus is teaching the sermon on the mount, a must read for everyone! At the end of chapter seven in verses 24 through 27 He says "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."  N.I.V.
I've discovered over the years as I try to put Jesus words in to practice in my life, it's not as easy as it seems. I know that whatever He says is what I should do, but some days can sure be a struggle.
It might have been easy for the tree on the sand to grow, probably much easier than for the tree on the rock. But all these years later what a difference in their  circumstances.
I know I'd like my life to look a little more like the tree on the rock. How about you?

May Jesus Christ help each of us to persevere in our faith in Him.

Brian

Comments