We all like sheep...

My cousin Jim has a small hobby farm, it's one of my favorite places!
Each spring for the past several years , he and I have tapped some of the maple trees on the property to make maple syrup. It's a lot of work, but (as a maple syrup fan), well worth the effort.
Maple syrup isn't the only thing produced on Jim's farm though. Over the years he has had various types of livestock, just small amounts though. A few goats, a few cows and now a half dozen chickens and a small herd of sheep.
The weather around our area has been relatively warm the past couple of weeks and the maple syrup season has come to an end for another year. So with last weekend being Easter and our church's Good Friday service scheduled for the evening, I took advantage of the nice weather, and day off work, and went up to Jim's place to take down the sap pails and pull the spiles from the trees.



As I worked away on all that I kept noticing the sheep out in their pasture, and I was reminded of a very powerful section of the bible, Isaiah chapter 52 verse 13 through to the end of chapter 53. Written several hundred years before Jesus was born it is a poetic account of what He went through and accomplished on Good Friday. In verse 6 of chapter 53 it says:

We all, like sheep, have gone astray, 
each of us has turned to his own way ;
and the Lord has laid on Him the sin of us all. 


There is another very powerful bible verse that speaks of what Jesus death on that Roman cross accomplished for us on that first Good Friday. It is 2nd Corinthians chapter 5 verse 21.
It says: God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.


Unfortunately, we all have sin in our lives, none of us are perfect. For some those things may seem trivial or very minor, really not much of a concern. For others though these things weigh heavy, a burden that brings deep shame and regret. However we may justify or judge our own wrong doing, sin is sin and separates us from God. There is a reason that the first four books of the New Testament, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are called the Gospels of Jesus Christ. Gospel means good news and the good news of Good Friday is this: Jesus Christ in His death on that cross paid the price for all our sin.

All the sin that I've committed, 
everything I've shamefully admitted, 
Jesus you paid it all for me, 
on a rough wood cross at Calvary, 
Lord you are slow to anger, 
and quick to forgive, 
and you died for me, 
so I could live.


If you haven't yet, but would like to accept Jesus sacrifice for your sin and start a relationship with Him, here is a simple prayer that you can pray. It is taken from the booklet "Why Jesus " by Nicky Gumbel. This is the prayer I prayed when I first asked Jesus into my life. 

Lord Jesus Christ
I am sorry for the things I have done wrong in my life.  (Take a few moments to ask His forgiveness for anything particular that is on your conscience.)
Please forgive me. I now turn from everything that I know is wrong.
Thank You that You died on the cross for me so that I could be forgiven and set free.
Thank You that You offer me forgiveness and the gift of Your Spirit. I now receive that gift.
Please come into my life by Your Holy Spirit, to be with me forever.
Thank You, Lord Jesus. Amen.

May the Gospel, the Good News of Jesus Christ deeply penetrate your heart and direct your life.

Brian 

Comments

  1. An awesomely powerful reflection as always Brian ... thanks for your attentiveness to the realities of God all around us, everyday - and for sharing them to encourage our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patrick for your kind encouraging words.

      Delete

Post a Comment